Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Interpersonal Communication and Conflict

It is only natural when engaging in  interpersonal communication that a conflict may arise. It is extremely unlikely that an individual can manage to have a relationship with another person and share exactly the same values, ideals, and opinions. Because we as individuals are so unique and different from one another we are bound to butt heads at times.

When it comes to conflict I am not the kind of person to generally initiate or feed into confrontation. For me it depends on how strong a relationship is for me to decide whether or not to engage in conflict. If a peer or person I have no strong relationship towards, has a disagreement with me I generally let it go. I suppose I feel that confrontation is necessary when dealing with people that hold a high significance in my life.

When faced with a confrontation with a freind or family member I tend to prefer to confront someone rather than pretend that nothing is wrong. Some of the strategies that I use when faced with confrontation are empathy and "I" messages. I think in order to really resolve a conflict it is vital to make it clear that you understand why the other person feels the way that they do. This allows the person that you are in conflict with to see that you are acknowledging their point of view, rather than dismissing it.

I use "I" messages constantly in casual conversations, so it's second nature to incorporate them when faced with conflict. This is a strategy that has been drilled into my head as early as elementary school, and it works. Using a "I" rather than "you" alleviates the feeling of blame. When faced with a confrontation it's easy to place blame on the other person, but constantly placing blame causes the other person to shut down. It's easier to get a person to listen and hear you out when you address your own feelings and thoughts, rather than attempting to address the other person's.

No comments:

Post a Comment