Monday, October 25, 2010

Styles of Listening

I would describe my style of listening as being people centered. I feel that it is extremely important when communicating to take into account how the person I am speaking to is reacting emotionally as well as physically. Words are powerful as we have mentioned, but a person’s body language, tone, and facial expressions speaks volumes. Even though my listening quiz score was below average, I still feel that I am a strong listener.
I not only believe this just from my own perspective, but from my friends as well. In my group of friends I tend to be the one that people feel comfortable talk to about their problems. I think this is because I know when to be quiet and just listen. I also try to gain perspective to my friends’ issues, by putting myself in their shoes. When asked for advice I try to not only advice them on what they should do, but also try to attempt to shed light on why or what the person they are in conflict may have been thinking and feeling.
When it comes to listening and giving advice I rely heavily on the speaker’s emotions and body language, but it is also important to focus on the content. When a friend is telling me a long story involving an argument it is necessary to focus on exactly what happened, in order to be able to provide some kind of advice.
I don’t know if this is a copout but I would have to say that I am both people and content centered.

No comments:

Post a Comment