Friday, October 1, 2010

Words Are Powerful

Words are extremely powerful. I have come to find that the some of the most powerful words are commonly recognized to deal with emotions; love and hate. What I find to be extremely troubling is when people abuse the use of powerful words, causing them to lose their strength. For example when you are talking to a friend and she expresses how much she loves her boyfriend. This can be seen as a strong emotion, but in my life time I have seen this word belittled. To be more specific, if this friend has been dating her boyfriend for a number of years or any great length of time then the word has power. When your friend has been dating the same guy for two weeks and has made every facebook status end with “I love you Ryan,” I feel the word loses its strength.

Other words that I find to be extremely powerful are curse words such as; shit, f*ck, etc. I myself frequently use these words to emphasize my point. When I am angry I will often say that I am “f*ckin’ pissed” this emphasizes that I’m not just angry or upset, but am overwhelmed with anger. I myself may be misusing curse words, in the sense that I utilize them more as adjectives, either way I haven’t encountered any miscommunication by using them in this fashion.

No comments:

Post a Comment