Monday, October 25, 2010

Technology and Interpersonal Communication

Assumption #1: The computer screen can deceive
When it comes to any kind of online communication it is easy to deceive. We have seen it in the media where pedophiles create facebook or myspaces in order to meet adolescents. These individuals don’t do this by being honest. They download a picture of an attractive adolescent, create a name, and list their interests to be geared towards the youth. As terrible as thissounds this happens all the time. In a less terrifying scenario we ourselves deceive those that view our facebooks. With something as simples as our profile pictures, we choose exactly which picture best represents us. This normally is the picture that best flatters ourselves. We choose to post an image of the ideal us.
Assumption #2: Online discussions often prompt introspection
Communicating through facebook via messages or wall posts allows the speaker to take their time before sending their message. The ability to sit down, think, and rethink prior to sending out our final thoughts is extremely valuable. I have found myself pausing to think about how I wanted to phrase something when even posting on a friends wall. I tend to stress over wall posts more than private messages because I know that my post will be seen not only by the intended receiver, but all of their friends as well.
Assumption #3: Online discussions promote self-orientation
Everyone tends to feel that something as intangible as a facebook account is still their personal property. We select which interests we want to list, the people we want for friends, the amount of access each viewer has, and the pictures we wish to share. When it comes to my facebook I refuse to accept a friend request from someone I don’t already know. This is something I do to protect my privacy as well as to avoid potential weirdos.
Assumption #4: Self-Disclosure occurs online
Facebook allows you to make your life as public or private as you please. There are a number of features that allow you to select which pictures you want to be accessible even limiting the ones viewable to your friends. One thing that I do in order to keep my profile personal is to set it to private. This means that only friends can view my page. I have furthered this by disabling the search engine aspect. For instance if you were Google my name my facebook page would not show up under the search.

No comments:

Post a Comment